Cannabutter is a key ingredient in many cannabis-infused recipes, from brownies to cookies to cakes. It’s a versatile ingredient that can be used in a wide range of dishes and making it is relatively easy. Here’s how to make your own cannabutter at home:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce of high-quality cannabis buds, finely ground
- Preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C).
- Spread the ground cannabis buds evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cannabis buds in the oven for 30-40 minutes. This process, called decarboxylation, activates the THC in the buds and makes it available for use in the cannabutter.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter on low heat.
- Add the water and ground cannabis buds to the melted butter and stir well.
- Simmer the mixture on low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to let the mixture boil, as this can damage the cannabinoids and reduce the potency of the cannabutter.
- After 2-3 hours, remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a large bowl or container. Be sure to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible.
- Place the bowl or container in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight. The cannabutter will solidify and separate from the water.
- Once the cannabutter is solid, remove it from the bowl or container and discard the water.
- Store the cannabutter in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to use it in your favorite cannabis-infused recipes.
- Use high-quality cannabis buds for the best results.
- Be sure to grind the cannabis buds finely before using them in the recipe.
- Don’t let the mixture boil, as this can damage the cannabinoids and reduce the potency of the cannabutter.
- Be patient and let the cannabutter cool and solidify before straining it. This will help ensure that you get the most out of your cannabis buds.
Making your own cannabutter is a great way to incorporate cannabis into your cooking and baking. With these simple instructions, you’ll be on your way to making delicious cannabis-infused treats in no time!